Wednesday, October 6, 2010

DirecTV Beware! We Got a Roku Box Today

DirecTV is dangerously close to forfeiting the ever-escalating financial blood-letting that they extract from us every month...our $59.95 Roku box arrived today.  That little device, combined with my $8.99 a month NetFlix subscription (drastically cheaper than DirecTV), offers me more instantly-streamed TV shows and movies than I could ever hope to watch.  Looks like NetFlix is continually adding to their selection as well.

Old television shows like Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Columbo, Rockford Files, and others are what I would much rather watch than the stuff that is indiscriminately pumped at us through our current satellite system.   The level of control that the NetFlix/Roku system offers is fantastic as well.

When I was picking the device from the lineup ($59.99, $79.99, and $99.99) I was worried that the least-expensive one's slower wireless networking would produce a problem with quality.   From our initial experimentation it doesn't look like it will be an issue at all.  I am glad I went the cheap route on this purchase.

Some might ask why I opted for the Roku over the newly-released AppleTV.  Yes, the Roku is $40 cheaper, but the real deciding factor was the presence of regular, old, RCA outputs.   Our "legacy" television does not have the port necessary to work with the HDMI-only Apple device.

Initial set-up of the device took a little while (maybe fifteen minutes).  The device software had to update.  I had to create a Roku account to pair with the device (code #1).  Also had to pair the device (code #2) with my NetFlix account.  Overall it was not too bad;  but it is not a process that is technophobe-ready.

Today is only Day 1 with the device.  Perhaps buyer's regret will set in later--but I don't really think so.  Watch out DirectTV, you might be losing a customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment