Thursday, July 26, 2012

Can you add a weblink to a Google Calendar event?

On July 23rd, ‏@hcallihan tweeted the following...

" Question: Can you add a weblink to a Google Calendar event? I can add a file, but want a weblink?? #gpsummit #nebedu "

Someone has probably already answered this question but I finally had a few minutes to explore it for myself and thought I would write this up.  I believe that this is possible provided a couple of conditions are met:

1. The HTML for a hyperlink must be included with the web address in the Google Calendar Event description.  For example, if I wish to have a clickable link to Apple's website in the description of a calendar event I would need to enter all of the following into the description field of the event:

<a href="http://www.apple.com">Apple's Website</a>

The text shown above in red would be replaced with the web address to which you want the link to go.  The blue text shown above should be replaced with what you want shown as the text for the user to click upon.  

2. It appears that the active hyperlinks in the description of an event will only work if the entire calendar is shared.  I tried to get this to work when trying to share just the individual event.  In that case the link was not active and actually displayed the address plus a remnant of the HTML.

Here is a link to a test calendar that I have made public and have embedded into a simple web page.  The July 26th, 2012 event should have an active link to Apple's website in the description...


I hope that this made sense and is found to be helpful.  Further questions about this could be directed to @pdlindgren on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment