Sunday, July 29, 2012

My Recipe for Fake-uccino's

NOTE: No guarantee or warranty is associated with this recipe.  Use at your own discretion and risk.  Provide for entertainment purposes only.

There are those in our household that enjoy the StarBuck's bottled Frappuccino's ( at more than $2 per 9.5 Fluid Ounce bottle).  So....I set out to create a homemade version that would satisfy my family Frappuccino experts.

Ingredients listed on the bottles which served as the launchpad for the creation of this recipe:

     Brewed Starbucks Coffee
     Low fat milk
     Sugar
     Cocoa
     Pectin
     Ascorbic Acid

I start with a well-cleaned and sanitized 9.5 Fl. Oz. Frappuccino bottle.  It is important to do this since this recipe has no preservatives in it. Goodbye Pectin and Ascorbic Acid!  I'm no food scientist but I'm assuming that these ingredients are in there to keep the stuff viable and good looking over long spans of time.  Therefore, it is also important not to keep these drinks around too long before drinking them and to keep them well refrigerated.

After that, I follow a 4 - 2 - 1 - 1/2 system in adding the ingredients.  To the bottle I add:

     4 Tablespoons of 2% milk.

     2 Tablespoons of Sugar

     1 Teaspoon of Hershey's Chocolate Syrup ( Please note that this is the only ingredient not measured in Tablespoons).

     1/2 Tablespoon of Pur Java ( I started adding this when I received complaints that the coffee taste wasn't strong enough).

I then fill the bottle the rest of the way with regular, leftover coffee (usually just Folgers Classic Roast ) that has cooled down.

After putting on the lid securely I move to an open area so that I can safely shake the bottle vigorously to get the sugar dissolved and all the ingredients mixed up.  The bottle then gets chilled in the refrigerator until it reaches a nice, cold drinking temperature.  NOTE: It will likely be necessary for the end user to shake up the bottle again as the ingredients tend to settle out ( particularly the chocolate syrup ).

I reached this recipe after several permutations; all the while being guided by feedback from my in-house expert.  I have never actually tasted this stuff myself;  I don't really like coffee.  I am more of a cream soda person myself.

Have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment